Monday, November 23, 2009

Mumblings and Grumblings

So if you have been wanting to pick my brain while I have been traveling through Europe, here is some of the stuff you would find:

Peanut Butter: Don't let me ever take you for granted again. You are a precious commodity over here in Europe. For some reason, these Spaniards prefer chocolate over your deliciously goodness. For that reason, finding a jar of you is only possible in the amazing "American Store"-- however you cost €5-€6. I think this will be the only time I will ever say a $9 jar of peanut butter was completely worth it.

Aluminum Foil: Unfortunately, I didn't discover your incredible diversification until after I exhausted all of my Ziploc bags. But thanks to you, I have been able to transport my sandwiches to school mess free every day. Also, by wrapping my sandwiches everyday I have finally learned how to fold the ends efficiently, just like wrapping gifts. Right before Christmas, too!

Asian Tourists: This might sounds a little hypocritical, but you guys are always in the way! I always find myself bumping into you and your gargantuan cameras. And, also, how do you always manage to travel in groups of like 70 people?! I can't even stand traveling with a group of 5! I will say, however, you offered a bit of comic relief in our weekend in Belgium. After greatly anticipating our 2 roommates in Brussels, Tori and I couldn't have expected any two people less intimidating than the two Asian students we roomed with. As we walked in around 10 p.m., we found you playing video games on your computer; fitting the stereotype to a 'T". And you weren't fooling anyone when you introduced yourself as "Jeff" and "Patty". After overwhelming you with questions, I worked up the courage to ask your real names and learned they were something like "Wang Wan Woa" and "Pan-wili". You guys were really nice, though, and I apologize for us having to leave at 5 am.

Spanish Hairstyles: You guys must cut your own hair. There is no other explanation for the short hair on the top and sides, and the half mullet trailing down the back of your neck. You look ridiculous.

European Streets: What the hell, guys? Is this a cruel joke for tourists? With hundreds of streets in a square kilometer, you would think navigating the streets of thousand-year-old cities is hard enough. But you go the extra mile-- squeezing a car down some of your streets is like passing a camel through the eye of a needle (catch that Bible reference?); finding your street signs is like a cruel scavenger hunt (many times I have been left thinking "This looks vaguely familiar"). Thanks to you, I will avoid renting a car in Europe at all costs.

Carbs: I never realized how much of you I could eat at one sitting, until I began eating Paloma's dinners. Nearly every dish is carb-based-- my favorite was our dinner of alfredo pasta, with sides of potatoes, rice and bread. However, signs of progress are showing-- last night was the first dinner without rice!

Ryanair: O, how I love you! You offer cheap flights all over Europe-- and you fly into Madrid Barajas! You have helped me make the most out of this semester. But I will bite my tongue for now because we have one more flight to make it through. (And we are checking a bag! Knock on wood)

Cold Weather: Every time without fail, you make me realize why I chose to go to school in Los Angeles. I actually had to buy a hat just to protect myself from you. Unfortunately, the rest of my trips look like dates with you-- so please be kind!

My Blog: You are so great in providing entertainment for me. I reward myself after finishing homework by allowing myself to pour out my thoughts through you. I find myself constantly thinking of post titles while on my trips. Also, this post is keeping me busy in Political Psychology. Thanks for filling voids!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what one misses when one travels. Don't worry we'll have some Edy's for under the Peter Pan when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha this reminds me of your sister (i take it you were trying to catch some of her creativity) love this one. i laughed the whole time

    ReplyDelete