Friday, December 18, 2009

The BEST and the WORST...

So, now that I am done with my incredible semester abroad, I though I might look back on the last 4 months and pick out the "best" and "worst" moments. Enjoy.

Best Natural Landmark: Rock of Gibraltar, UK- Can't beat the views and, of course, the monkeys!
Honorary mention: Mt. Teide, Canary Islands, Spain

Best Duram Kebap: Barcelona, Spain- Maybe it was because it was the first of many kebaps to be had, but we never did find another to match up to "Istanbul" quality.

Best Meal: Thanksgiving dinner at Tori's host-stay. Gloria and Josu, I can't thank you enough. That was more than anything I could have expected.

Worst Food: Blood sausage- Enough said.

Best Shower: Medium Hotel, Valencia, Spain- Thanks to Tori's parents, we stayed high class this weekend. The shower was almost the highlight of the trip.

Worst Shower: My host family's, everyday. Can't wait to get home and actually have water pressure and consistently warm water.

Best "Where the hell am I?" moment: Madrid, Spain-Waking up on Ben's hotel room floor after an unforgettable (at least the parts I remember) night at Kapital

Worst "Where the hell am I?" moment: Tangier, Morocco- Walking around aimlessly in the Medina made me feel like I had a target on my back. Definitely the most uncomfortable I felt the whole semester.

Best Hostel: B&B Maison, Florence, Italy- Incredible staff, free dinner, 50 cent breakfast and the coolest people staying there. Even had one of the guys visit us from Valencia. This was the hostel experience I had been hoping for.

Worst Hostel: O'Callaghan's, London, England- Couldn't have started off our semester at a more disgusting place. Bed was awful, showers disgusting and spiders crawling out from the floorboards. Luckily, we didn't have another experience like this one.

Best Pillow: San Sebastian Hostel- This may seem strange, but they are hard to come by. The sleep in San Sebastian was by far the best, thanks to the pillow.

Best Purchase: My poncho or "drug rug", for sure. You may have seen it in some pictures. Totally California, thanks Mike and Charlie.

Worst Purchase: Cell Phone SIM Card- Made this purchase in the States, even. Definitely should have waited until I got here.
Honorary Mention: Vatican Museums Ticket

Most Random trip: Ghent, Brugges, Brussels; Belgium- Bought the ticket on a whim cuz it was €25, but had one of the coolest experiences of the semester. Plus, enough chocolates for a month.

Best Ancient Landmark: Roman Aqueduct, Segovia, Spain- Tough to pick this over the Coliseum, but I couldn't get over how cool this thing was.
Honorary Mentions: Coliseum, Roman Forum

Best Church: St. Peter's Basilica, Rome, Italy- I feel like it would be blasphemous to say anything else.
Honorary Mention: Sagrada Familia

Best Castle: Gravensteen, Ghent, Belgium- This was the kind of castle I have pictured since I was little.

Best Metro: Madrid, Spain- Hands down the best. Most lines, most trains, cheapest ticket.

Worst Metro: Brussels, Belgium- You know it's bad when we didn't pay for a single ticket.

Best View: French Alps, Chamonix, France- These were some of the coolest, most jagged mountains I have ever seen, despite being off-season.
Honorary Mentions: Parc Guelle, Barcelona, Spain; San Sebastian, Spain

Best Beach: Tangier, Morocco- We had an endless stretch of beach with blue water to ourselves. What more can you ask for.

Best "College" City: Barcelona, Spain- Hang out on the beach all day, hit up Chupitos at night.

Best "Let's Just Take it Easy" City: San Sebastian, Spain- Such a quaint town. No better place to take a stroll

Worst City: Geneva, Switzerland: Weather sucked. Really expensive. Absolutely nothing to do. Good thing it was only for a night.

Best Country: Spain- Hands down the best. I may be a little bias in my opinion, but this country has it all; mountains, beaches, hiking, skiing.

Best "I probably shouldn't have done that" moment: Chamonix, France- Stepping off the ladders after climbing down into the glacier with everyone alive was a huge relief.

Worst "I probably shouldn't have done that" moment: Getting too drunk at Kapital, having to leave early, thus wasting my €15.

These are some of the most memorable moments from my semester. I wouldn't have changed anything about my experience. It was the greatest 4 months of my life!







No comments:

Post a Comment